UMBC Faculty Teaching UMBC Courses
Studying abroad in college can be a life-changing experience, but for many students, being away for four months just isn’t an option. Now there’s an alternative … UMBC Abroad. UMBC Abroad is UMBC faculty offering condensed summer and winter courses at locations around the world. Travel with other UMBC students, discover new cultures and perspectives, and earn valuable UMBC credits that count toward your degree.
UMBC Abroad Advantages
- Shorter experiences (typically 10 days to six weeks) compared to traditional study abroad programs
- Tuition is waived – you pay only travel, fees and program costs
- UMBC faculty teach UMBC-approved courses – no credit transfers required
- Earn 3 - 7 UMBC credits that count toward your degree
- Travel in summer session or January without the burden of a full course load
- On-site accommodations and itineraries are prearranged by UMBC
How to Apply
Studying abroad requires planning in advance. Students are encouraged to follow the Study Abroad guide that breaks down the process into steps. You’ll apply online before the regular summer/winter registration periods and pay a small deposit to reserve your seat. Space is limited, so apply early.
Summer Application Period
Apply November 1 through February 15
Winter Application Period
Apply June 1 through September 15
Standard UMBC tuition is waived for UMBC Abroad programs to help lower the cost for UMBC students. You pay a pre-set program cost,* which includes:
- Airport pick-up and drop-off in country
- On-site accommodations
- Some meals
- Cultural visit entries, excursions and international travel insurance
- Mandatory university fees
* Not included in the program cost are international airfare, personal expenses, passport fees (for new passports), and some meals.
Financial aid may be available for qualified students. Contact the Financial Aid Office for assistance. UMBC’s Study Abroad Office offers resources for scholarships and other ways to fund your study abroad experience. Contact the Study Abroad Office for assistance.
Contact us today to plan your experience abroad!Contact the Study Abroad Office for assistance. Advisors and peer mentors are available to help you plan your UMBC Abroad experience.